Monday, April 30, 2007

The Dress

Several readers have asked me where I obtained the dress in the photo to the right. Two summers ago I volunteered at the Villa Terrace biennial fundraiser in Milwaukee. The theme was “The Great Gatsby.” Before I jetted to Milwaukee, I was lucky to find the perfect dress nearly across the street from our house at Nana in Washington, DC. At the time, Nana was in a basement in the last in a row of converted row houses at U Street and New Hampshire Avenue, NW. Last year it moved to the first floor of a town house a few doors east. It’s one of the hip boutiques in the U Street corridor. I don't know if they still sell vintage, though.

The 1930s black and pale pink silk and lace gown was priced right ($60) but needed a bit of work. Following the salesgirl’s advice, I took it to the cleaners across the street, where the tailor made it fit.

I completed the outfit in Milwaukee at an antique store in the historic Third Ward , which stocked a trunk full of black and white dress gloves in various lengths. Here are some photos from the ball. Please join us for Gershwin in the Garden this year on July 21. Any suggestions on what to wear?

Nana
1528 U Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009
202.667.6955
store.nanadc.com

Villa Terrace Decorative Arts Museum
2220 N. Terrace Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53202
414.271.3656
www.cavtmuseums.org

No comments: